ArcGIS Desktop - Data Editing forum

Convert Polygon to Line   John Tullis Mar 30, 2010
Re: Convert Polygon to Line   Nizam -ud-Din Mar 31, 2010
Re: Convert Polygon to Line   John Tullis Mar 31, 2010
Re: Convert Polygon to Line   John Sobetzer Mar 31, 2010
Re: Convert Polygon to Line   Nizam -ud-Din Apr 01, 2010
Re: Convert Polygon to Line   Jakub Sisak Apr 01, 2010
Re: Convert Polygon to Line   Nizam -ud-Din Apr 21, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Convert Polygon to Line 
Author John Tullis 
Date Mar 30, 2010 
Message I'm aware that the "polygon to line" conversion tool is only for ArcInfo licences, not ArcView. see http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?id=1531&pid=1519&topicname=Polygon_To_Line_(Data_Management)

So I used to use XToolsPro to do this basic job. Why you need an arcinfo license to do basic stuff like that is beyond me.

Anyway, imagine my surpise to find this article http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techArticles.articleShow&d=21395 which basically tells you how to convert polygon to lines:

Procedure
Create a new polyline shapefile in ArcCatalog.
In ArcMap, add the polygon shapefile and the new polyline shapefile.
Select the Start Editing option in the Editor toolbar.
Set the Task to Create New Feature and the Target to the polyline shapefile.
Click Select All on the Context menu of the polygon shapefile.
Select Copy from the ArcMap Edit menu or type Ctrl+C.
Select Paste from the ArcMap Edit menu or type Ctrl+V.
Save your edits.

I didn't know you could copy and paste different feature types and they would magically work. It's also strange that you just copy and paste in order, you don't need to highlight the layer you're pasting into, you just hit paste and it magically appears in the Target layer you happen to be editing at the time.

How many other secret functions like this does ArcGIS have? If I hadn't seen the ESRI article I wouldn't have known about this method, and it bothers me that many users would just think 'oh well I can't convert polygon to line unless I spend 1000s on an arcinfo license'.

Kinda dumb, isn't it?

Subject Re: Convert Polygon to Line 
Author Nizam -ud-Din 
Date Mar 31, 2010 
Message Hi

tell me wht kind of GIS software u r using?

In arcgis 9.0 to 9.3 series have this option "conversion of polygone to line"

Nizam 

Author John Tullis 
Date Mar 31, 2010 
Message I'm using ArcGIS 9.3

But you only get that option if you have an arcinfo license, not an arcview license.

Dumb or what? 

Author John Sobetzer 
Date Mar 31, 2010 
Message Whenever you want to do something and you can't find a tool to do it you might:

1. Search the ESRI Support site generally, Arcscipts especially, the ESRI Developer Network (for samples especially) and the Forums (lots of offered code, expressions, etc. in addition to ideas).
2. Search on different but related terms using Google. Aside from the fact that it may catch something interesting within ESRI, it may catch something useful in all the GIS blogs and other programs that are out there.
3. Check out ET Geowizards, XTools Pro, (both of which have free tools), and Hawth's Analysis Tools (free and being replaced by new free versions).
4. Post to the Forums and ask for help. People here are great. 

Author Nizam -ud-Din 
Date Apr 01, 2010 
Message dear u have crack version?

Author Jakub Sisak 
Date Apr 01, 2010 
Message Correct me if i am wrong but don't these 3rd party tools have limitations on how many features can be processed?

Yes, it's a standard function in ArcGIS that's always been there (even ArcView license) to copy polygon and paste them into a layer feature class. 
  Jakub Sisak
jsisak@dstgroup.com
www.dstgroup.com 

Author Nizam -ud-Din 
Date Apr 21, 2010 
Message hi
sory for late messaging
Do one thing go to arctoolboxcheck it