ArcGIS Desktop - Data Editing forum

converting graphics to shapefile/layer in A...   Jason Winoker May 24, 2002
Re: converting graphics to shapefile/layer...   Michel Audet May 24, 2002
Re: converting graphics to shapefile/layer...   Jason Winoker May 28, 2002
Re: converting graphics to shapefile/layer...   Michel Audet May 28, 2002
Re: converting graphics to shapefile/layer...   Jason Winoker May 28, 2002
Re: converting graphics to shapefile/layer...   Michel Audet May 28, 2002
Re: converting graphics to shapefile/layer...   David B May 28, 2002
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject converting graphics to shapefile/layer in ArcMap 
Author Jason Winoker 
Date May 24, 2002 
Message The problem that I will present to you is basically an issue with ArcMap, but I shall first establish the course of action that I’ve taken up to this point.

In ArcView 3.1, I can add a shapefile to the Table of Contents. With that shapefile active, I can draw a polygon using the Draw Rectangle button on the toolbar. I can then alter the size of the polygon (in order to make a perfect square) by clicking on Size and Position under the Graphics menu. After this, I activated the X-tools extension in order Convert the Graphic to a Shapefile. I can then use this (perfect square) shapefile for further processing (i.e. clipping, etc) of other shapefiles.

Now, this is where my questions come in…If I wish to do the same kind of thing using ArcMap…what must I do? This is the procedure that I have followed to this point:

In ArcMap, I can add a shapefile. I can then draw a rectangle using the Draw Rectangle button in the Drawing toolbar. Like in ArcView, I can alter the properties of the polygon that I drew by double-clicking on the polygon. The Properties dialog box appears, and I make the changes to the size of the polygon after I click on the Size and Position tab. I have not been able to figure out how to convert the (perfect square) graphic to a shapefile or a useful layer with which I may achieve my objectives like I can using ArcView 3.1.

Do you understand my dilemma? Do you have any suggestions? I would appreciate your input.

Thank you for you help,

Jason

Subject Re: converting graphics to shapefile/layer in ArcMap 
Author Michel Audet 
Date May 24, 2002 
Message Hi

You can draw a perfect shape (square , rectangle or more) with the tools we have with arcmap: You can specify a angle and a distance to draw line i.e: you can start to draw a shape at a position like 0,0 (or anywhere on your map) and draw a side of the rectanlge at an angle of 0 degree and a length of 120 feet and draw the an other side at an angle of 90 degree and a length of 120 feet. and the others sides with the same way.

Bye 
  Michel Audet
VISIONAir-UAV
www.visionair-uav.ca

Author Jason Winoker 
Date May 28, 2002 
Message Michael,

I understand what you are saying, but I have been unable to find the tools that you a talking about. Could you please explain???

Thanks,

Jason 

Author Michel Audet 
Date May 28, 2002 
Message Hi

To do this:

You create your shapefile in arccatalog (don't forget to specify the type of geometry : point, line or polygon)

Open a existing project in ArcMap or create a new one, add the shape file in the project

Open the editor toolbar

Start an editing session

Use the edit tools ( little pencil), the task must be to "create new feature" and the target the shapefile you want to modify or add new features

Point the start vertex for your shape (left button of the mouse), after click the right button of the mouse and select the appopriate tool : probably Angle,distance and enter the value. Repeat the rigth click as you need, to finish, rigth click and "finish sketch".

Don't forget to save your edits : "Save edits" in the editor menu.

Good luck.

Bye

Michel Audet
VISIONAir-UAV
www.visionair-uav.ca

Author Jason Winoker 
Date May 28, 2002 
Message Michel,

Thanks for your help. I followed your instructions, and I was able to create a perfect square while editing! The next thing that I'd like to figure out is how I can alter the length of an existing polygon...like if I want to change the length of the sides of a square (from let's say 3000 units to 2000 units).

Any suggestions? 

Author Michel Audet 
Date May 28, 2002 
Message Hi

I'm happy to know it's work

You can modify a part of a polygon by adding, deleting or moving vertex.

Task to modify feature,
Select the polygon to modify,
Move the cursor over the vertex you have to move to reshape the polygon,
click the rigth button and select "move to ..." change the value for x and y (if you know how much units you have to cut for each axes : x and y)

An other way (longer but simple)is to rebuild the segment and reshape the polygon with the reshape feature... or if the polygon is simple, delete the polygon and make a new one.

Bye

Michel Audet
VISIONAir-UAV
www.visionair-uav.ca

Author David B 
Date May 28, 2002 
Message There is some sample code on ArcObjectsOnline for converting graphics to features. Go to http://arconline.esri.com/arcobjectsonline/
and search for Convert Graphics Command.