ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Data Editing forum

digitize a drawing without georeferencing   cari breton Aug 26, 2002
Re: digitize a drawing without georeferenci...   Jewell Brannigan Aug 26, 2002
Re: digitize a drawing without georeferenci...   cari breton Aug 26, 2002
Re: digitize a drawing without georeferenci...   Jewell Brannigan Aug 27, 2002
Re: digitize a drawing without georeferenci...   Jana McNeil May 06, 2003
Re: digitize a drawing without georeferenci...   caroline breton May 07, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject digitize a drawing without georeferencing 
Author cari breton 
Date Aug 26, 2002 
Message I need to digitize a drawing, that is not georeferenced, and somehow match it to an image of the island of trinidad. There is only the outline of a piece of the island for reference, and that line is not very detailed. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? 

Subject Re: digitize a drawing without georeferencing 
Author Jewell Brannigan 
Date Aug 26, 2002 
Message Is the drawing to scale? And just how accurate must you be with your digitizing? Is there any way for someone to survey some part of the feature in the drawing?

If the drawing was to scale, I would take the dimensions I could figure out from the drawing, go to a project with the correct georeferencing, match up something, like that shoreline so I could orient where the features on the drawing should go and then create those features using the editing tools available in ArcMap. If I had a little more info about what you're trying to draw, I might be able to suggest some specific tools.

Jewell 
  Jewell Brannigan
GIS Analyst 

Author cari breton 
Date Aug 26, 2002 
Message What I need to do is this...I have an x-band image of the island of trinidad, which i had no trouble georefrencing in arcmap, and i have a paper copy of a structural interpretation map based on the x-band. This is not georefrenced and the only thing i can use as a refrence is a small piece of the eastern coastline.
I have attempted to use a couple of extensions like shapewarp but it does not seem to be working. Is there any way to use the georefrencing tools in arcmap on files other than raster files? or is there another tool that would do the same kind of thing for coverages or shapefiles? This does not have to end up perfectly matched, but close would be nice.
Thanks so much for your help!
Cari 

Author Jewell Brannigan 
Date Aug 27, 2002 
Message Well, the trick that comes to mind would be to digitize the hardcopy map as vector then import the feature to a raster that can then be georeferenced. There is a georeferencing tool bar in ArcMap that will work with rasters. Once you've got it nearly in place, you can covert it back to vector to get the smooth lines that you might want.

Subsequent versions of ArcMap (I'm not sure if this starts at 8.2 or 8.3) will have a tool that will allow you to take vector data, tell it what points should match up with and then it will move that data based on those points. I'd sure like to have this tool now.

We do plenty of digitizing from ancient as-builts (older than I am) that are only sometimes georeferenced. We're a bit luckier though because usually there is some sort of hard structure that you can locate to base everyting off of.

Jewell 
  Jewell Brannigan
GIS Analyst 

Author Jana McNeil 
Date May 06, 2003 
Message Can you tell me how to import vector data to raster data?

Thanks,

Jana

Author caroline breton 
Date May 07, 2003 
Message In ArcToolbox, Conversion Tools there are a couple of tools you can use depending on what type of vector file you are working with. Check out the "Import to Raster" tool, or the various "Export from" tools.
Another option would be to highlight the theme (shapefile) in an ArcView project, making sure all or none of the features are selected, and from the Theme pulldown menu select Convert to Grid.