You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Data Editing forum

Overlapping polygons   Stephanie Morse Apr 03, 2003
Re: Overlapping polygons   Ianko Tchoukanski Apr 04, 2003
Re: Overlapping polygons   Tessa Cassiers Apr 07, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Overlapping polygons 
Author Stephanie Morse 
Date Apr 03, 2003 
Message In 3.2 you could use "subtract features" to delete overlap. In 8.2 I have created a ploygon over another and now want to subtract the overlapping parts so that I do not have any overlap. How do I do this in 8.2-I have looked in a couple of reference materials and find no mention of this.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! 

Subject Re: Overlapping polygons 
Author Ianko Tchoukanski 
Date Apr 04, 2003 
Message Select the polygon that you want to remain unchanged. Go to Editor == > Clip 
  http://www.ian-ko.com 

Subject Re: Overlapping polygons 
Author Tessa Cassiers 
Date Apr 07, 2003 
Message A few weeks ago I had the same problem, then I found out about the clip-command. However, you should be very careful when using this command! In arcview 3 you could only edit one theme at the time, now you can edit every layer (shapefiles in my case) that is in the same folder at the same time! This means you can easily substract something from a layer that you don't mean to. And it doesn't matter wheter that layer is visible or selectable or not...
Now, I just make sure that the shapes I still need to edit are in one folder, when they are finished I move them to a more permanent folder. Pffff.... it shouldn't be that hard...
Any solutions??