Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Kent Marten Jul 29, 2006
Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Samo Koprivec Jul 31, 2006
Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Kent Marten Jul 31, 2006
Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Samo Koprivec Aug 07, 2006
Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Tift Tax GIS Aug 07, 2006
Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Tift Tax GIS Jul 31, 2006
Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Stephen Nicholson Nov 27, 2006
Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' featu...   Tom Shindler Sep 19, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Why no 'Promote Selected Records' feature in 9.0!!!??? 
Author Zach Felling 
Date Sep 14, 2004 
Message I'm wondering if anyone else finds it extremely annoying that there is no 'Promote Selected Records' function available in 9.0? I know that you can query your data and then hit the 'Selected' button to show only the selected records. That's fine and dandy but you can't interactively deselect records from your 'Selected' table.

In ArcView 3x I was able to query my data and then open the table and group all the selected records by hitting the 'Promote' button. I could then easily deselect a few records if I wanted. Or, I could scroll through the rest of my table and add a few records. I know you can interactively select and deselect records in the table in 9.0. The problem is that you cannot do it when they are grouped ('Show Selected'). This makes it extremely inefficient when you have a large data set with thousands of records. Dang it, its annoying!! It use to be so easy in 3x!! Maybe somebody has this all figured out in 9.0 and could fill me in and ease my pain.

Zach 

Subject Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' feature in 9.0!!!??? 
Author Torgrim Hoydahl 
Date Sep 17, 2004 
Message After you have selected the records and then need to run another query (to deselect, add more records, etc), you can specify which method you want to use. In your "select by attributes dialog box you can specify all this. You can select from selected records, add to the selection, remove from selection.

Hope this helps. Trust me, when you get used to using Arcmap you will not miss av3.2 

Author Zach Felling 
Date Sep 17, 2004 
Message Torgrim,

Thanks for your response. I know that you can run additional attribute queries. In some cases this is great but in other cases its a lot faster and easier the way it use to be done in ArcView 3x. There is a lot of value in being able to select and deselect records with a mouse click. It seems to me that 9.0 has LESS functionality than 3x in this regard. After all, in ArcView 3x you could also run multiple queries (add to selected set, subtract from selected set, etc) AND select records with the mouse. When I'm looking at my selected records and I see one that should be excluded, its a heck of a lot faster to simply click it with the mouse than having to go through the process of selecting the selection method and then building the query. That just sucks!! What if I see 4 records that I need to remove from the set. In 9.0 this may require either a long query or mutiple queries (there may be different logical reasons that I want to remove the records) In 3x all I would need to do would be CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Again, maybe I'm just ignorant but I really think this was a lot better in 3x. I don't see why they removed this basic functionality. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things that I think are really great about 9.0. 

Author Terri Clark 
Date Oct 14, 2004 
Message Zach,

I, too, miss the ability to add or remove records from a selection with the click of the mouse. I am getting by, but it was very handy. We should probably submit an enhancement request (go to the home page of the support center.)

Good Luck 

Author Rupert Essinger 
Date Oct 14, 2004 
Message We definitely hear you on this, and I've included the link to your comments in the enhancement request for this here in Redlands. (The enhancement request ids are CQ00107794 'add promote function' and CQ00173214 'let users deselect records while showing just the selected records in a table'). 
  Rupert Essinger
ArcGIS Development Team
ESRI Redlands 

Author Tift Tax GIS 
Date Sep 13, 2005 
Message Add me to the list. I miss the "promote" feature. 

Author Zach Felling 
Date Sep 13, 2005 
Message It has been almost a year since ESRI said they would make this enhancement. How many years do we have to wait for this simple yet extremely useful enhancement!!????? 

Author Ray Carnes 
Date Sep 13, 2005 
Message Update: This feature will be available with the release of ArcGIS 9.2.

ESRI expects to ship ArcGIS 9.2 in late 2006. We hesitate to commit to a specific timeframe because we want to ensure the quality of ArcGIS 9.2.

Ray Carnes,
ESRI Technical Marketing. 

Author Zach Felling 
Date Sep 13, 2005 
Message Kick ass!! I'm dancing for joy. Thanks ESRI!! 

Author Tad Franson 
Date Jun 14, 2006 
Message Ray wrote: "Update: This feature will be available with the release of ArcGIS 9.2."

I'm in the process of reviewing a beta version of ArcGIS 9.2 and have yet to discover the "promote selected" feature. Is there something I'm missing or is this enhancement planned for a later release?

Author Ray Carnes 
Date Jun 14, 2006 
Message Ted,

ESRI Development found the main functionality people were looking for in this feature was the ability to select, highlight and de-select records 'from the selected set' of records.

You can now do this with ArcGIS 9.2 once you show the selected records from the table as well as nagivate to those features.

Highlighted features will now appear in a different color to selected features.

Does this give you the functionality you need?

Ray Carnes,
ESRI Technical Marketing. 

Author Robert Anderson 
Date Jun 30, 2006 
Message Ray,
This is a good start, but it would still be nice to have the selected records at the top of the table in addition to the deselected records below. Why not add the ability to "sort by selected" so that you can easily and visually add or remove from the selection just with a click of the mouse. 

Author Craig Ferris 
Date Jul 20, 2006 
Message Ray,

The enhancement to select and deselect from a selection set in the attribute table is a huge step. But the ability to promote the selection set to the top of the attribute table remains very important to many ESRI users. The "Show: All|Selected" functionality is great, now just put Promote in there and most everyone will be happy. 

Subject Re: Why no 'Promote Selected Records' feature in 9.2 
Author Samo Koprivec 
Date Jul 27, 2006 
Message If I may put my two cents in, I would like to say this is something that requires some knowledge of cognitive science, not only GIS because it touches problems involving procedural vs. declarative memory, implicite vs. explicite rules in human decision making.

Because to add a few rows to an already selected set is a decision that is made by a human mind by different kinds of criteria, some of the criteria are not even consciously taken into consideration because they are not kept in the *declarative* (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_memory ) memory at all, or intuitively chosen ("instinctive"), and/or too complex and changing for each row that is to be added to the selected set.

This knowledge of the cognitive psychological science would suggest to us that the user making such a decision should be *free* to firstly *see all* rows together *in one window* both the selected and the non-selected ones (where the selected ones would be shown together - promoted) and *secondly* to click-select them without requiring of him firstly to define (put it into declarative memory) the criteria and secondly go through the process of making a query for each of them to be added to the selected set. At the present moment this is not allowed in your GIS 9.x.

Samo Koprivec

P.S.
I hope you agree with my conclusions,
especially because it's nothing wrong
with the new, advanced and intelligent
ArcGIS 9.x, except that it is the
knowledge of cognitive science that
needs to be taken into consideration, too.

Office for Road System Records and Archives

Among other tasks we collect and store GIS data on state road locations and their elements and structures, structure conditions, traffic signalling and road equipment, sections' lengths, traffic counting, and data on maintenance performed on the state roads sections which is needed for state's roads planning, maintenance, construction and management and for supervising other public roads data sent from municipalities.

The Directorate of the Republic of Slovenia for Roads, Ministry of Transport, Slovenia, European Union

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EU_map_names_isles.png 

Author Tift Tax GIS 
Date Jul 21, 2006 
Message Ray - one more vote for "promote". 

Author Zach Felling 
Date Jul 21, 2006 
Message Can I vote twice? I vote for promote!!! 

Author Torgrim Hoydahl 
Date Jul 21, 2006 
Message Yeah I guess I will join the troops promoting the 'promote selected features'. Its simple yet effective. 

Author Samo Koprivec 
Date Jul 27, 2006 
Message Just a link http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=988&t=137037#585604 to my post posted somewhere in the middle of the discussion tree as reply to the Craig Ferris' post - since all others seem to post at the bottom of the discussion tree. 

Author Rupert Essinger 
Date Jul 27, 2006 
Message Sorry we weren't able to get promote into the table window at 9.2.

For 9.2 we focussed on the following table enhancements:

- New Calculate Geometry dialog for calculating
area, length, XY locations etc in the units and
format of your choice. Point and click. No VBA
required!

- Direct support for Excel as tables in ArcMap.
Supports entire worksheets and any block of
cells in the funkier looking .xls files via
named range.

- Ability to refine the selected set when working
in Show Selected Records mode including
keyboard shortcuts for really fast deselection
of unwanted records. For example, select all
features in an area, open the table window
showing selected records, sort the records on
an attribute, and then deselect the ones with
the largest or smallest values in that area.

- Loads of table to map navigation functions so
it is now a breeze to immediately pan or zoom
the map to show you any feature(s) in your table
without changing your selected set.

- Ability to customize the table's appearance
directly in the table window including turning
fields off, specifying aliases, number format,
making long field names and long text values
wrap around inside their cells.

- Print a table without creating a report.

- Tons of new keyboard shortcuts, including
ability to work to work sequentially through
a table reviewing or editing each record
while zooming or panning to that feature on
the map.

Anyway, see what you think. The entire 9.2 Desktop Help system is now available on-line:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=welcome

To get the latest draft PDF describing what is new in 9.2, go to this page in the help and click the link to the PDF:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?&TopicName=What's_new_in_ArcGIS_9.2

(This PDF is still draft as of today and doesn't yet reflect some recent additions we have made)

Other whats new in 9.2 resources:

ESRI.com product page:

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/about/whats-coming.html

9.2 FAQ:

http://events.esri.com/uc/QandA/index.cfm?ConferenceID=D396D1B1-C04F-B070-2433249136G0A1D4

Summer 2006 ArcNews article:

http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/summer06articles/streamlining-server.html

Spring 2006 ArcNews article on 9.2:

http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/spring06articles/highlights-of-whats.html

Rupert Essinger
ArcGIS Development Team
ESRI Redlands 

Author Samo Koprivec 
Date Jul 28, 2006 
Message First of all I want to thank you for replying so quickly, mr. Essinger! I have googled your name and found out you published a paper on User-centered GUI design for GIS where you discussed how traditional user interface design focuses on the best way to represent the software functionally rather than on how to meet the expectations of the user.

I can now see that you are aware of that and that there are your work colleagues at ESRI those who still cling to the traditional GUI design, the very same that has been criticized by you here http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/Publications/Tech_Reports/91/91-6.pdf

Let's get to the point. Among all the good and thoughtful things that will be included in ArcGIS 9.2, there will be (I quote your words) *really fast deselection of unwanted records*.

Isn't it somehow inconsistent with your (ESRI's) intentions to provide only a fast way to deselect unwanted records, and not its complementary feature - a really fast way to select additionally wanted records?

Which would require the promote feature.

Maybe ESRI does not see it as being inconsistent in its intentions, I would like to hear what your arguments against the really fast selection of additionaly wanted records are? Maybe I am wrong and ESRI is being consistent. I have reposed my confidence in you and hope you are up to it.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Samo Koprivec

Office for Road System Records and Archives

Among other tasks we collect and store GIS data on state road locations and their elements and structures, structure conditions, traffic signalling and road equipment, sections' lengths, traffic counting, and data on maintenance performed on the state roads sections which is needed for state's roads planning, maintenance, construction and management and for supervising other public roads data sent from municipalities.

The Directorate of the Republic of Slovenia for Roads, Ministry of Transport, Slovenia, European Union

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EU_map_names_isles.png 

Author Kent Marten 
Date Jul 29, 2006 
Message Hi Samo,

Included in the 9.2 keyboard shortcuts for working with tables, are several ways to select records quickly.

You can use the Spacebar to Select or Deselect a row. Selecting a record this way will add it to your current selection set. (Use Ctrl + Spacebar to Select or deselect row in Edit mode)

Shift + Spacebar allows you to make a block selection. Use the Spacebar to select a record, cursor down or up several records, hold Shift and press the Spacebar, and all records from the one you initially selected will now be selected. Selecting records this way will also add to your current selection set (Only in non-edit mode).

Ctrl + Enter (or Ctrl + Shift + Enter) Move to the next record and select it exclusively (particularly useful for working sequentially down through a table, reviewing or editing each record, and looking at the feature it represents on the map). This selection method will add to your current selection set as well, but only one record at a time.

Ctrl + U to Switch the selection.

Shift + down arrow (or Shift + up arrow) allows you to continuously select records (records are deselected if you switch arrow keys while still holding Shift). This will also add to your current selection set.

Holding CTRL and clicking the grey button to the left of the row will add individual records to your selection set, or you can use the Shift key and click to make a block selection.

Also keep in mind that now you can quickly deselect records by pressing the Backspace key when you are in Show Selected View of the table.

See the full list of shortcuts on the ESRI Webhelp.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?topicName=Keyboard_shortcuts_for_working_with_tables

Regards,

Kent Marten
ESRI Redlands

Author Samo Koprivec 
Date Jul 31, 2006 
Message Thank you, Kent.

All of these features are really great, although they don't tell me why the user is not allowed to see both the selected records being grouped at the top (pr*moted) while also seeing all the other records (non-selected) below them.

I can not imagine what are your arguments against such a feature, I really can't.

I am asking myself what would happen (to the tables window or to something else?) if you would allow it anyway?

Samo Koprivec 

Author Kent Marten 
Date Jul 31, 2006 
Message Hi Samo,

My previous post was a response to this question you asked, "Isn't it somehow inconsistent with your (ESRI's) intentions to provide only a fast way to deselect unwanted records, and not its complementary feature - a really fast way to select additionally wanted records?"

I wanted to make sure you knew that there were many ways to additionally select records.

Regarding the promote feature, we didn't have time to do it to an acceptable level of performance and reliability for the 9.2 release.

Thanks again for your input,

Kent Marten
ESRI Redlands

Author Samo Koprivec 
Date Aug 07, 2006 
Message First of all, I'd like to thank you for listening and for answering to my questions and observations, and criticisms, as well.

Below are some enhancement proposals, as well, so I hope you will read this post, too. Thank you.

So, my observation is that *at the expense of* the visibility of the single most important window in ArcGIS (i.e. the Data View) in ArcGIS the *bigger* Table Window was made *fatter* by almost two records/rows' space. This happened by introducing the All/Selected button at the bottom of the Table Window.

I hope you can agree with me that the guiding principle in GIS GUI design is somehow different than in purely attributive applications...

All other windows must occupy as little space as possible in GIS in order to keep the *visibility* of the *Data View window* as large as possible.
In order to keep in line with the above mentioned guiding principle I think that the valuable graphical space occupied by the Record Number box and Options button together with the All/Selected records button are to be removed in the spirit of GIS and made available only as keyboard shortcuts.

And an idea for the new ArcGIS for new OS, Microsoft's Windows Vista: it makes another step
possible in order to make the graphical (GIS) data visible all the time by making the minimized (i.e. the ArcView 3.x-like) Table Window as a whole - a *transparent Vista window*.

Best regards,
Samo Koprivec 

Author Tift Tax GIS 
Date Aug 07, 2006 
Message Kent - this is a bit off-topic, but perhaps you could pass this along.
Could ArcGIS be made "Windows taskbar-aware" like other programs? Those of us who keep the Windows taskbar at the top of the screen find that ArcMap et al dives under the taskbar when opened, and dragging it out from under gets a bit tedious.
Thanx 

Author Tift Tax GIS 
Date Jul 31, 2006 
Message Samo - as you may know, lots of us still use ArcView 3x alongside 9 (each for its own strengths ... and weaknesses). 

Author Stephen Nicholson 
Date Nov 27, 2006 
Message I too miss the "Promote to top" feature. It allows me to visually scan the results of my query to look for trends, exceptions, spatial similarities, etc. This is an important tool for doing QA/QC on field collected data. Yes, I suppose I could create a new temporary layer from the results of my query and look at the new attribute table, but why? ArcView 3.X had its issues, but there really is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 
  Stephen Nicholson 

Author Tom Shindler 
Date Sep 19, 2007 
Message Until ArcGIS has the "promote" function, I will continue to go back to AV 3.2 to do my table editing. It is that important to me to be able to promote records, and continue to work with the rest of the records.

This is one of a half-dozen "killer" features that ESRI has been unwilling or unable to add to ArcGIS that keep me using AV 3.2 because it still does these so much better, even though they've had almost 10 years to get ArcGIS right...

(others are: temporary table joins that append the joined table records, rather than forcing the creation of a new layer/table and multiple layouts.)