You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Attribute Tables forum

Copy attributes to clipboard   Brian Miller Nov 22, 2005
Re: Copy attributes to clipboard   Sara Davis Dec 19, 2005
Re: Copy attributes to clipboard   Brian Miller Dec 20, 2005
Re: Copy attributes to clipboard   Valentina Boycheva Dec 20, 2005
Re: Copy attributes to clipboard   Brian Miller Dec 20, 2005
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Copy attributes to clipboard 
Author Brian Miller 
Date Nov 22, 2005 
Message Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way of copying the contents of the attributes table (either all or more often just a selection) to the clipboard to then paste into MS Word or Excel or anything please? I know we can export the data to a .dbf table, but in a lot of cases I do not want to create a new file to then copy the details out again from that file.

It seems a very basic function which would save a lot of time as well as the fact that it can be done in other GIS packages as well as Access, Excel etc.

Many thanks

Brian
(Data & GIS Officer, BBOWT, UK) 
  Brian Miller

Subject Re: Copy attributes to clipboard 
Author Sara Davis 
Date Dec 19, 2005 
Message If you open the attribute table, there is an Export choice in the Options button. You can export the entire table or just selected features into a .dbf file that can be opened in Excel.

Hope this helps,
Sara Davis 

Author Brian Miller 
Date Dec 20, 2005 
Message Hi Sara,

Thanks for this. I do know about this, but the thing I was really wanting to be able to do was save time and so not have to save the attributes to have to then open it again! Instead to just copy and paste into excel, word, or whatever straight from the attributes window, either all of it if displayed or just those selected.

This seems a very basic function and when the attribute screen is able to sort fields etc I do not know why it can not do this other basic task.

Thanks

Brian 
  Brian Miller

Author Valentina Boycheva 
Date Dec 20, 2005 
Message Brian,

This functionality is available, but not in the attribute table, as one might expect. When you select the records, right-click on the layer/table in the TOC, then click on

* Selection/Copy records for selected features, if it's a feature layer, or

* Copy records, if it's a table.

This will copy the records to your clipboard and you can paste the contents to Word/Excel/Notepad, etc. 
  Valentina Boycheva
Senior GIS Programmer/Analyst
http://www.jonesedmunds.com

Author Brian Miller 
Date Dec 20, 2005 
Message Valentina,

Many many thanks. Yes this does what I want!

Although the sensible place is from the attributes table where you can see what it is you have selected, but well, this will work great for the time being. Maybe ESRI will add this little function in future upgrades?

Thanks

Brian 
  Brian Miller