You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Attribute Tables forum

cannot delete more than one field because i...   John Gallo May 20, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Michael Knight May 20, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   John Gallo May 20, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   G. Venkata Vijay Kumar May 21, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   John Gallo May 21, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   G. Venkata Vijay Kumar May 21, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   NATHAN Moe Nov 24, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   John Sobetzer Nov 25, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   John Gallo Nov 25, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Jaya Smith Dec 10, 2008
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Leonardo Barua Feb 11, 2009
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   James Wingate Feb 24, 2009
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Leonardo Barua Feb 24, 2009
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Christopher Nagle Mar 31, 2009
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Jason Mielke Aug 11, 2009
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Johannes Roeder Jan 25, 2010
Re: cannot delete more than one field becau...   Vladimír Ba?ík Mar 14, 2010
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject cannot delete more than one field because it is in use 
Author John Gallo 
Date May 20, 2008 
Message Hello Folks,

When viewing a table, I can delete one or two fields. Then when I try to delete another field I get :

Can not add field to the selected table/feature class because it is in use by another application/user.

But it is not. and I just deleted a field.

I see that others are having this problem too: http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=988&t=240057
Except I am not even on a network. Just a single license. I am running ArcView 9.2 with SP5. On Vista 32 bit.

This appears to be Vista bug, but it has apparently been fixed: NIM032629; Bug NIM033585

But I am still not able to make the program work for me without a full reboot. Reboot my computer for every field delete? Come on. Any suggestions?

Come to think of it, I don't think this was happening on SP4. Should I try to remove SP5?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Subject Re: cannot delete more than one field because it is in use 
Author Michael Knight 
Date May 20, 2008 
Message See if using the AtcToolbox Delete Field Tool makes any difference:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?id=1552&pid=1547&topicname=Delete_Field_(Data_Management)

Michael Knight
GIS Solutions Architect
Contract Land Staff, LLC
Stafford, Texas

http://www.contractlandstaff.com

Author John Gallo 
Date May 20, 2008 
Message Hi Michael Knight,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, same problem. The error message is a bit more explicit: "Cannot get exclusive schema lock. Either being edited or in use by another application.
Failed to execute"

Next step maybe?

Thanks,

John 

Author G. Venkata Vijay Kumar 
Date May 21, 2008 
Message I had been having the same problem for quite some time now and couldnt find a solution yet. Most of the times, removing and adding the shape file did help. I agree, doing that for every field delete is absurd. 
  Vijay Kumar
Software Developer

Author John Gallo 
Date May 21, 2008 
Message Hi Both,

Vijay, are you using Vista also? Which ESRI service pack?

Both: I tried uninstalling Google Desktop, and disabling the automatic backup function of Vista. Thinking maybe the changed file was making an entry into their databases, and making it unavailable to ESRI. Reboot... still no love. Getting the same error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Author G. Venkata Vijay Kumar 
Date May 21, 2008 
Message Sorry john, i hadnt grown up yet. I am stuck to 8.3. 
  Vijay Kumar
Software Developer

Author NATHAN Moe 
Date Nov 24, 2008 
Message I am also running vista and having a similar problem. My work around has been to do it in ArcCatalog. Annoying because you have to shut down your arcmap session but it isn't terribly inefficient. 

Author John Sobetzer 
Date Nov 25, 2008 
Message Hawth's Tools has a way to delete multiple fields all at once that you might try. 

Author John Gallo 
Date Nov 25, 2008 
Message For what it is worth, I think my problem had to do with a faulty motherboard. ( I had other buggy behavior in other programs, got to the bottom of it, had it serviced.)

Also, you can use the Delete tool, which allows you to delete many fields at once. It was nice to find that one.

Good Luck,

John 

Author Jaya Smith 
Date Dec 10, 2008 
Message Hey y'all,

I found a way around this issue, but it has constraints.

In the attribute table, right click on the unwanted attribute(s), and select Turn Field Off. Do this with all of the unwanted attributes.

Then close your attribute table, and right click on the layer and choose Data-> Export Data. Choose to export All Features in View Extent.

This will create a new file with your desirable attributes. Note that you are not actually deleting fields or attributes with this method. 

Author Leonardo Barua 
Date Feb 11, 2009 
Message Hi, I always encounter this problem. In addition, if I can't delete a field, I also cannot add a new one. When I was using Windows XP, the workaround was I move the file or the whole folder (if I'm working with many shapefiles) to another location in my hard disc and re-add the shapefiles to ArcMap. I usually put the files on another dataframe or a whole new document. Once added, I can now add and delete fields. It is tedious but it works.

When I shifted to Vista, the workaround does not work anymore. After much experimentation, I discovered a new workaround. I discovered that ArcGIS in Vista does not like very much spaces in the names of the shapefiles and folders containing them. SO, the new workaround is to not put spaces in the names and folders. More so, it is better to put the files in a location not too deep within the hard disc.

In my case, I named the shapefile I want to edit as "flood_hazard" and put it in "D:\leo_files". Now I don't have problems adding and deleting fields.

Hope this help you guys. 

Author James Wingate 
Date Feb 24, 2009 
Message Hello All,

I was having similar problems with a schema lock when trying to delete fields manually or using the "delete fields" tool in ArcToolbox on a shapefile using ArcView 9.3 in Windows XP SP3. I am the only user of the dataset on a local workstation with a single-use license.

After reading Leonardo's post from 2/11/09, I noticed that my path name was extremely long. I shortened the path name and then full functionality to delete and add fields returned. I did not move any files to new folders, I simply renamed the existing folders to give them shorter names.

I will send this to ESRI--a more descriptive error message, such as "path name is too long, must not exceed XX characters" would be helpful. Good luck!

James Wingate
Blue Stakes of Utah 

Author Leonardo Barua 
Date Feb 24, 2009 
Message I read James' post and tried it on an XP SP3 pc and yes, it did work. I bet ArcGIS 9.3 really didn't want rather long names and paths, and spaces. Now I know I don't have to move around my files from time to time.

While exploring ArcScene, I also noticed an error while working on DEM and its transforming to 3d contour lines. This happens both on XP(SP3) and Vista(SP1). Perhaps I should find the right thread first to put this discussion on.

Leo 

Author Christopher Nagle 
Date Mar 31, 2009 
Message I think I have some information to post that is relevant to this topic. It’s certainly true that you can get the “Can not add field to the selected table/feature class because it is in use by another application/user.” error message for both adding and deleting fields to a shapefile if ArcCatalog already has a lock on the shapefile, or if you have more than one map document open at the same time with the same shapefile open in each. The situation I encountered, however, appears to relate to the length of the path. I couldn’t find any information about this in the Help or in the forums here on the support site.

I often construct pretty long shapefile names because I use the names as a form of documentation for what I have done to derive the file. So, I have a series of files in one map document named as follows, with the year varying from file to file:

hafb_inventory_areas_WGS84_080918_data_CLIPPED_1991.shp
hafb_inventory_areas_WGS84_080918_data_CLIPPED_1992.shp

The length of the path for the files (including the file name) is 138 characters. I don’t know whether it makes a difference, but I am using relative paths in the map document. When I tried to delete a field from one of these files, I got the “Can not delete the selected field from the selected table/feature class because it is in use” error message. In trying to figure out why I got this message, I closed ArcCatalog and also did a cold boot of the computer (Windows XP Pro)--neither helped. The only variation that prevented the error message was to include only one of the files by itself in a map document. It began to seem as if ArcMap thought that the filenames were identical, even though the full, distinct name of each file appeared in the Source tab of its Properties box.

I started experimenting with renaming two identical shapefiles by placing a “1” and “2” in the file names in various positions to the left of the end of the filenames. When I inserted “1” and “2” in the following position (and positions to the right of this), ArcMap started treating the files as distinct, rather than as identical files:

hafb_inventory_areas_WGS84_080918_data_CLIPPE1D_1991.shp
hafb_inventory_areas_WGS84_080918_data_CLIPPE2D_1991.shp

Does this mean that there is a 128 character limit to the path for a shapefile?

-Chris Nagle
Statistical Research, Inc. (http://www.sricrm.com

Author Jason Mielke 
Date Aug 11, 2009 
Message Chris, You are correct. ArcGIS truncates path and shapefile names greater than 128 characters. So when you use the delete or add field tools using input (with filepath + filename > 128 char) shapefileA.shp and then repeat using a different shapefileB.shp from same workspace ArcGIS interprets this scenario as using the same input (e.g. [\\...\longpath\roadsA.shp] input becomes [\\...\longpath\roa] and [\\...\longpath\roadsB.shp also becomes [\\...\longpath\roa]; in this example the 'd' in the shapefile name is the 129th character in the input path.), thus causing the application to throw the "Cannot get exclusive schema lock... in use by another application..." exception.

ESRI staff has logged this bug as NIM047052.

Hopefully, we will see it resolved in 9.4. Until then the workaround is to use shorter filepaths or multiple workspaces that differ within the first 128 characters.

James and Chris, I had been struggling with this seemingly random/intermittent behavior on and off for years... thank you both for providing the missing puzzle piece.

Jason 
  Jason T. Mielke, GISP
Sage Management 

Author Johannes Roeder 
Date Jan 25, 2010 
Message I had the same error problems. The problem did not occur any longer when I copied the .shp in consideration to another directory before deleting/adding fields 

Author Vladimír Ba?ík 
Date Mar 14, 2010 
Message I had the same problem, I just started ArcGIS as administrator and it helped.