ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - Attribute Tables forum

dbf into layer information   mandalynn clark Aug 28, 2008
Re: dbf into layer information   mark squires Aug 28, 2008
still not working.....   mandalynn clark Sep 02, 2008
link to ward doc, with pictures   mandalynn clark Sep 02, 2008
Re: link to ward doc, with pictures   Eamonn Coveney Sep 12, 2008
Re: dbf into layer information   Ben Williams Sep 15, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject dbf into layer information 
Author mandalynn clark 
Date Aug 28, 2008 
Message Hi, i am trying to connect my dbf file with information in a layer.

My dbf has 4 colums and numarical information in all of them.

I wish to have the information in the dbf show up in my parcel layer. The information is data about livestock in my county. I want to be able to make a map of a set of parcels and have the parcels that contain livestock show up in color.

Therefor, i want to join/relate (i dont know which one) the livestock-dbf data with my parcel layer.

I have messed around with it a lot to get it to work. Do i need to add the dbf as a layer and then join/relate?

I know that i want to use the parcel_num as my like colum so i have parcel numbers in my dbf.

Please help, i will really be thankful!! =)
-Mandalynn 
  -Mandalynn 

Subject Re: dbf into layer information 
Author mark squires 
Date Aug 28, 2008 
Message Hi Mandalynn,

For your current issue, you will need to create a join for your parcel layer and your DBF file. A join is for a one-one relationship (ex. one record in the parcel for one record in the DBF).

To create the join, you need a common field to generate the join. This field would be common in both the parcel and DBF, and will be able to "join" both files into one attribute table.

I've added the link below regarding joining tables:

About joining tables

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?id=678&pid=668&topicname=Joining_tables 
  Mark
(ESRI)

Subject still not working..... 
Author mandalynn clark 
Date Sep 02, 2008 
Message Thank you so much!

However, i still have a problem. Im sure it is on my end =)

Okay, so i did all of the steps in the link that you sent me to join my table to the parcel layer.

I did so by first adding my dbf as a layer.Next i right clicked the taxlot (parcel) layer and selected join from there. I did all the steps that the link told me to.

Now i went to open the attribute table and my titles were present. The headings that i had in the dbf were now on the parcel layer attribute table. The problem is that there is no data.

I know that i have to have the information hilighted when i create my dbf, i did so.
I also know that i need to have a related item to join, my item was the parcel number.

Im not too sure where to go from here. I have been messing with it all day =(

Thank you for your response. Please help if you know what i did wrong. ps. i have arc 9.0 
  -Mandalynn 

Subject link to ward doc, with pictures 
Author mandalynn clark 
Date Sep 02, 2008 
Message pictures of what i am seeing... 
  -Mandalynn 
  no livestock data.doc (opens in new window)

Subject Re: link to ward doc, with pictures 
Author Eamonn Coveney 
Date Sep 12, 2008 
Message Hi Mandalynn,

You may try importing your .dbf into Excel, then re-saving as a DBFIII file (extension will still be .dbf). If you do this, MAKE SURE that you select all cells that have data before you "save as" - only selected cells will appear in the new file (if you don't select the cells, you will get the same result you have now).

Once you have saved the new .dbf, add it you your ArcMap session and proceed with the join.

-e 

Subject Re: dbf into layer information 
Author Ben Williams 
Date Sep 15, 2008 
Message Hi Mandalynn,

did you check you headings in the DBF for invalid
characters. i.e spaces, "/" etc