You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Page Layout forum

Strip Map Generation with Map Book ext   Timothy Hayes Aug 07, 2003
Re: Strip Map Generation with Map Book ext   John-Paul Hopman Aug 21, 2003
Re: Strip Map Generation with Map Book ext   Nadina Alves Mar 13, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Strip Map Generation with Map Book ext 
Author Timothy Hayes 
Date Aug 07, 2003 
Message I have been using the Map Book Extension for quite some time to generate mapbooks and grids using point shapefiles. Now I wish to use it to generate a map book for a water pipeline. For this operation, since it is a linear feature, I thought it best to use the "Create Strip Map Grids" function. However, when I attempt to use this I keep getting the following ERROR box popping up:

"Cannot Process the StripMap - multi-part polyline created. Check for non-connected segments, overlaps, or loops".

Before getting this message I used the Dissolve Feature based on common attribute function in the Geoprocessing Wizard to create one polyline for the entire pipe system. Still StripMap does not work.

I have attached a 2 jpeg files in the ZIP file to this message. One jpeg is of the error message, the other is a snapshot of the water pipeline network I would like to create the StripMap for.

I have checked for the non-connected segments, overlaps and loops. Found none.

Any ideas? 
  Strip Map Error.zip (opens in new window)

Subject Re: Strip Map Generation with Map Book ext 
Author John-Paul Hopman 
Date Aug 21, 2003 
Message This is just a thought, but I was under the impression the strip map was created to create map books that follow a single line. When I think of waterlines, I picture a grid that spirals out from a central point. If the waterlines do split off into more then one direction, perhaps you should just try generating a normal grid, but eliminate any boxes that don't have waterlines within them. Just a thought. 
  John-Paul Hopman
Michiana Area Council of Gov'ts 

Subject Re: Strip Map Generation with Map Book ext 
Author Nadina Alves 
Date Mar 13, 2006 
Message Hi Timothy,

Did you ever receive any solutions for the error that you received here? I am also having the same issue but I only have one continuous pipeline with no overlaps, segments, etc.

Cheers,

N. Alves