unable to zoom/pan in layout view   Bob Ubbelohde Jul 03, 2004
Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view   Nina Baksh Apr 21, 2006
Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view   Mark Young Apr 29, 2006
Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view   wayne nicolson May 25, 2006
Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view   O R Jun 20, 2006
Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view   Jeff Arnett Jan 30, 2007
Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view   Terri Clark Jan 30, 2008
Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view   Jim Scace Mar 27, 2008
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject unable to zoom/pan in layout view 
Author Bob Ubbelohde 
Date Jul 03, 2004 
Message I'm unable to zoom or pan in layout view.
Specifics:
- The 'fixed zoom" in and out work properly while in layout.
- The "go back to previous extent" arrow works properly while in layout.
- The "+-" zoom and "hand" pan do not work while in layout view
- Within data frame properties/data frame tab, I have confirmed that the extent is set to automatic.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Subject Re: unable to zoom/pan in layout view 
Author Nina Baksh 
Date Apr 21, 2006 
Message Hi Bob,

Did you find the answer to this problem? I am having the same issue and working in ArcGIS 9.1.

Thanks,
Nina 

Author Mark Young 
Date Apr 29, 2006 
Message Check to see that no-one has set the scale to fixed whereby panning and zooming functions are disabled. In the TOC, right click the data frame >properties>data frame tab and check the automatic setting - may be on fixed scale...?
Mark 
  Mark Young
GIS Officer
ICT Services
East Northamptonshire Council
UK 

Author wayne nicolson 
Date May 25, 2006 
Message Hi Nina and Bob;
Did either of you find a solution to this issue? I have the same problem but here's how I make it work. While in layout view, I select a feature on my map (using any selection method). Then, in the TOC, I right-click on the layer who's feature(s) is/are selected. From the drop-down menu, navigate to selection>pan or zoom. It works great (zoom changes the map scale so be careful with that). Besides this, it seems that you can't very easily zoom in to your data while in layout view (makes sense).

If you tend to do a lot of panning/zooming around, especially if you often return to the same extent like you would if you were repeatedly creating maps for the same areas, consider making yourself a map grid and try DSmapbook to help automate things a bit. Of course, DSmapbook has its own “challenges”, if the discussion threads are any indication….

Hope this helps!
Wayne

Author O R 
Date Jun 20, 2006 
Message Try adjusting the "Page and Print Settings" of the .mxd to the specific printer you are using. 

Author Jeff Arnett 
Date Jan 30, 2007 
Message This problem will arise if the Data Frame in the layout view has been 'grouped' with a layout graphic element. Try selecting the Data Frame with the Select Elements tool> right-click> and select 'Ungroup'

Regards, Jeff 

Author Terri Clark 
Date Jan 30, 2008 
Message I am experiencing this same problem, but only intermitently and only when I have two or more data frames present.

What I've noticed is that after activating my secondary data frame, when I attempt to use the pan or zoom (data) tools in the now active, secondary, data frame (in layout view) , the active frame reverts back to the 1st data frame.

There seems to also be a related problem with the scale bar and scale text disassociating from the primary data frame, and becoming graphics only. However, I have not discovered exactly when this is triggered.

I'm in ArcInfo 9.2, service pack 4, and have MapPlex running. 

Author Jim Scace 
Date Mar 27, 2008 
Message I was experiencing the same problem of being unable to pan the data view while in the layout view. By reading this thread, I discovered that yes indeed, I had the data view grouped with other map elements. Ungroup, pan is working again.

Jim