You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Page Layout forum

Dynamic Link to Excel Chart in ArcMAP   Ken Hardcastle Oct 17, 2006
Re: Dynamic Link to Excel Chart in ArcMAP   Ray Carnes Oct 17, 2006
Re: Dynamic Link to Excel Chart in ArcMAP   J Minnick Mar 28, 2007
Re: Dynamic Link to Excel Chart in ArcMAP   Ken Hardcastle Mar 28, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Dynamic Link to Excel Chart in ArcMAP 
Author Ken Hardcastle 
Date Oct 17, 2006 
Message I would like to link a chart from an excel file into my .mxd layout. The chart will be updated over the next few weeks, and I would like the up-to-date chart to show in the .mxd file each time I open/print it. Is this possible? I have done this in Autocad for years, but cannot seem to find how to do it in ArcMAP.

thanks! 

Subject Re: Dynamic Link to Excel Chart in ArcMAP 
Author Ray Carnes 
Date Oct 17, 2006 
Message Ken,

Inserting the spreadsheet via the Insert menu with the Object option works, provided you use the create from file option and make sure the link box is checked.

ArcMap caches the spreadsheet when you do this and doesn’t automatically update the cached representation.

Any time you wish to see the new representation (if anything is changed in the spreadsheet) double-click the linked object to start the application that created it.

This will refresh the cached representation and show you the updated spreadsheet.

Some users have asked that we notify them when the document is opened that it contains links to other objects and give them the choice to update them (this is how linked objects work in Microsoft Word) and this is under consideration by ESRI development.

Ray Carnes,
ESRI Technical Marketing. 

Author J Minnick 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message Hello -

I am dealing with this issue now and even if I double click to open the embedded excel sheet (which has linked data to a different excel sheet) the links do not automatically update until I go to (in Excel) Edit>Links and select the "Update Links" button.

This is not very helpful as I have about 50 mxds with embedded tables that will need to be updated every few months. To tell me to open each file, double click, and then click three more times isn't a very satisfactory solution.

In theory, as the file is in Excel it should automatically update links (and should prompt me if I set it up to prompt me) but for some reason the Excel file opened by ArcView will not update automatically and doesn't give the prompt to update as it should. ESRI seems to be overriding the Excel functionality somehow.

Anyway - still need a solution to this.

Thanks.

Nif

Author Ken Hardcastle 
Date Mar 28, 2007 
Message Sorry to hear about your trouble too.

We simply paste graphics from Excel ... and then just before we go to press and Excel graphs are in the their final form, we redo all the pasting and pdf the mxd map. A real pain to say the least.

I do hope this functionality is added to 9.3 ...