You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Page Layout forum

Map Book create grid 9.2   Andrea B, GISP Aug 08, 2007
Re: Map Book create grid 9.2   Andrea B, GISP Aug 09, 2007
Re: Map Book create grid 9.2   Jason Ebersole Aug 09, 2007
Re: Map Book create grid 9.2   Andrea B, GISP Aug 09, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Map Book create grid 9.2 
Author Andrea B, GISP 
Date Aug 08, 2007 
Message Hello,

I used to use map book developer sample in 9.1, and I found it in Programfiles\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit\samples\Cartography\DS_Map_BookVisual_Basic.zip. We switched to 9.2 on Friday. Now I do not have a samples folder in the DeveloperKit folder in that location. Somehow, the map book creation is still working.

The problem is the create/update map grids. I need to make a new grid that has a scale of 1100. I am using a new blank shapefile with the appropriate fields. When I tell it to "Don't create empty grids" and check my parcel layer, the resulting grid does not cover my parcel layer. Therefore, it is not covering the area I need in my map book.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work? I see there is a new 9.2 forum with a new 9.2 version of this map book tool, but how can I uninstall the one I have if I don't know where it is?

Thanks in advance. 
  Andrea Bohn
GIS Analyst 

Subject Re: Map Book create grid 9.2 
Author Andrea B, GISP 
Date Aug 09, 2007 
Message Ok, I uninstalled my 9.1 version. I installed the one that came with 9.2 and reran the grid. It still does not cover my parcels. Then I uninstalled that one and installed the one from Larry Young http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=989&t=211395&mc=146#msgid696260 . I reran the grid and it did the same thing and doesn't cover my parcels. I am including a screen shot. The polygon grid should be covering the green parcels.

Help? 
  Andrea Bohn
GIS Analyst 
  Error_mapBookGrid.JPG (opens in new window)

Author Jason Ebersole 
Date Aug 09, 2007 
Message This might be something to try. Make sure you are zoomed out far enough to allow a "buffer" around your parcels. I've found having your data frame zoomed exactly to the extent of your data will cause Map Book to leave some areas uncovered. Zooming out a bit usually helps with this. 
  Jason Ebersole
ebers.gis[at]gmail.com 

Author Andrea B, GISP 
Date Aug 09, 2007 
Message Jason,

Thank you! I zoomed out and it works. Interestingly, every different spatial extent creates a different grid. I am attaching a screen shot of 3 of them. I think I could keep doing this forever and always get a different grid. So hopefully I'll get one that works for what I'm looking for. The client would like to see only 6 atlas pages, so I'm playing around with that by adjusting my map scale a little and my grid scale.

Thanks again, how wierd. 
  Andrea Bohn
GIS Analyst 
  3diffGrids.JPG (opens in new window)