You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcMap Page Layout forum

Tweak MapBook clipping to x-hatch   John Vona May 23, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook clipping to x-hatch   Larry Young Jun 16, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook clipping to x-hatch   Larry Young Jun 18, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook clipping to x-hatch   John Vona Jun 19, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Frankie Famighetti Jun 27, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Larry Young Jun 30, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Daniel Laidlaw Jul 09, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Larry Young Jul 09, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Larry Young Jul 14, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Frankie Famighetti Jul 14, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Larry Young Jul 14, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Frankie Famighetti Jul 30, 2003
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   John Waterman Apr 12, 2004
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Larry Young Apr 19, 2004
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   John Waterman Apr 19, 2004
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   craig mielke May 10, 2004
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Larry Young May 11, 2004
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Melissa Brooks Nov 02, 2005
Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside...   Ted Strome Nov 11, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Tweak MapBook clipping to x-hatch 
Author John Vona 
Date May 23, 2003 
Message Hi, The Clip function in "Map Book", which you toggle in a dialog box, totally whites-out surrounding polygons that surround the subject in the map-book creation. I've been asked to cross-hatch the surrounding polygons so map users can view the underlying data. Where in the Map Book VB code can this change be made? I assume that the code is creating a fill-pattern, white, for these surrounding areas, which I'd like to change to gray cross-hatch. Thanks, John 

Subject Re: Tweak MapBook clipping to x-hatch 
Author Larry Young 
Date Jun 16, 2003 
Message The Clip function in the MapBook sample uses the standard clip functionality for the data frame, so there really isn't anywhere you can go in the code to change this to a cross-hatch. What you would need to do is to bypass the Clip option and write your own routine for creating the x-hatch as part of the Draw routine for the page in the DSMapBookPrj project. 

Author Larry Young 
Date Jun 18, 2003 
Message I've attempted to add the x-hatch option you mentioned to the code. If you'll post your email address to this thread, i'll send you what i have.

Thanks.

Author John Vona 
Date Jun 19, 2003 
Message Hey Larry,
I truly appreciate the offer of your code snippet. I'm trying to get up to speed on the code, but admittedly it's pretty advanced for me. My e-mail address is john.vona@plumcreek.com
Thanks all for the responses.
John 

Subject Re: Tweak MapBook - turn off labels outside page 
Author Frankie Famighetti 
Date Jun 27, 2003 
Message Hi all,

I am dealing with a similar issue but instead of X-hatching the outside area, I need to turn off labeling for all polygons outside the page boundary. Is there any known sample code that addresses this issue? Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Frankie
email: ffamighetti@firstam.com 

Author Larry Young 
Date Jun 30, 2003 
Message Enclosed is a new version of the map book which includes the x-hatch option.

The only way that i can think off (without writing a bunch of code) to label just the features on the current page would be to use the page geometry to do a selection and then only label the selected features (by creating a selection layer or something like that). Even that would not guarantee you wouldn't get some labels outside the boundaries of the current page, though. 
  LatestBook.zip (opens in new window)

Author Daniel Laidlaw 
Date Jul 09, 2003 
Message I like the cross hatch feature of this version compared to the older version, but all my labeling seems to turn of when I use the clip feature with the cross hatch is this a know problem. Or am I doing something wrong. Do I have to modify the code to see the labels along with the cross hatch
Thanks Dan 

Author Larry Young 
Date Jul 09, 2003 
Message What type of labeling are you refering to?? General ArcMap labeling, or labeling around the edge of the tile in the sample?? 

Author Larry Young 
Date Jul 14, 2003 
Message What you need to do for your labels to show up (along with the cross hatching) is go to the Labels properties tab for the data frame and click on the Conflict Detection Rules button. When the Conflict dialog appears, change the Feature Weight for to .

The cross hatch is done as a giant graphic symbol with a hole for the extent of the current tile. The extent of the graphic is used as a mask for blocking out labeling with the default setting. When you set the Feature Weight for the layer to known you are essentially saying it is okay to draw labels that overlap with the graphic.

Date Jul 14, 2003 
Message Larry,

Thanks for the updated Map Book code, it has helped considerably. However, when plotting at smaller scales the hatching becomes too congested (many more lines are used to hatch). Is it possible to correct this by selected a different fill symbol, and if so, how can this symbol be set.

Thanks in advance,
Frankie
ffamighetti@firstam.com 

Author Larry Young 
Date Jul 14, 2003 
Message If you open the DSMapBookPrj project in Visual Basic 6, you can edit the DSMapPage class and change the spacing on the cross hatch (and any other aspect of the symbol for that matter). Once you have opened the project, search for the CreateClipElement routine. In that routine you can change the line:

pLineFillSym.Separation = 5

to reflect the spacing you want. After changing the line recompile the project and you should be good to go (you may need to save the project and then reopen it to recomplile).

Date Jul 30, 2003 
Message Larry,

Your help is greatly appreciated. My manager would like to contact you directly if possible. Please email your contact information to ffamighetti@firstam.com.

Thanks,
Frankie Famighetti

First American RES
ffamighetti@firstam.com 

Author John Waterman 
Date Apr 12, 2004 
Message Larry,

Is this the latest version of the map book, or is there a newer one that I can get my hands on?

Much appreciated,
John 

Author Larry Young 
Date Apr 19, 2004 
Message Here's the latest code. You can also grab it from ArcObjects online. 
  LatestBook.zip (opens in new window)

Author John Waterman 
Date Apr 19, 2004 
Message Thanks! 

Author craig mielke 
Date May 10, 2004 
Message Larry,
I have a question regarding the placement of labels in the identifier frames for DSMapbook.
I have both a global and local identifier frame, and I a main data frame.

As the main data frame pans to various quarter sections for each page, the local identifier pans to center on the selected quarter section, and also shows the surrounding 9 1/4 sections. They all have labels on them "S10-SW: S10-NW" etc..

The global frame does the same thing, but labels only the sections "S10, S12" etc...

The problem is that the labels for the selected quarter section disappear (or are drawn over by)when the 1/4 section is highlighted. I've tried making them highlight with the "show selected features with ____ symbol" and with "Show selected features with _____ color" and both times they disappear for the selected feature. I've also tried messing around with the conflict detection rules, but cannot seem to make them appear.

The only thing I can get to work is to make the selected feature show as a cross hatch, and then the label shows through, but it doesn't give me the effect I'm looking for.

Can you help? 
  Craig Mielke, WPIT
Environmental Scientist
Olsson Associates
2120 S. 72nd Street
Suite 1400
Omaha, NE 68124
402.341.1116 (Voice)
402.341.5895 (Fax)
cmielke@oaconsulting.com

Author Larry Young 
Date May 11, 2004 
Message Craig,

Development has talked about allowing users to change the drawing order so that you could have labeling draw after the selection set, but no definitive plans have been made for that at this point.

For plotting purposes, what you could do would be to create a new layer from the selection set. The new layer would then draw before the labels were placed. Or you could manually add a new layer and then set a Definition Query based on the currently selected tile, so that only that tile draws.

In order to make this work within the MapBook you would need to write a little code, though. You could have the code just change the Definition Query based on the selected tile.

Author Melissa Brooks 
Date Nov 02, 2005 
Message Hi,

I am using DS Mapbook at the moment and I want to set a definition query for the layers in my map based on the selected tile in the series.. this is the first forum I have found describing exactly what i want to do. You suggest having to change the DS Mapbook code, I am very new to writing code but I have a support team here who will be able to implement any suggestions or tips on how to/ or what code to use to do this..

I hope this makes sense, and I hope that you still check this site :)

Many thanks in advance for your time

Melissa Weterman
Auckland City Council
NZ 

Author Ted Strome 
Date Nov 11, 2006 
Message Hi Melissa

Not sure if you ever managed to get the definition query to work - I wanted to do the same - so added the following lines in the DSMapPage.DrawPage routine (after the select tile code) - it's not flexible, but it works as a hard-coded solution or as a basis for a more flexible solution:

' added under the select tile code (approx line 193) in the DSMapPage class
    Dim myLayer As IFeatureLayer
    Dim myDef As IFeatureLayerDefinition

Set myLayer = pMap.Layer(0)
    Set myDef = myLayer
    myDef.DefinitionExpression = "Block='" & m_sPageName & "'"

Ted Strome
Larix Forestry Inc.
http://www.larix.ca