You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcObjects Visual Basic for Application (VBA) forum

create multiple layouts per mxd? (making Ar...   Ned Morse Sep 23, 2003
Re: create multiple layouts per mxd? (makin...   Olivier Damanet Sep 23, 2003
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject create multiple layouts per mxd? (making ArcMap like ArcView 3.x) 
Author Ned Morse 
Date Sep 23, 2003 
Message When ESRI rolled out ArcGIS, they said they added features requested by their users, but I think they took away some key features that were taken for granted. While I see a lot of improvements going from ArcView 3.x to ArcGIS/ArcView/ArcInfo Desktop 8.x (especially regarding handling of layers in different projections/datums and capabilities such as map rotation), I really miss how ArcView 3.x organized layouts (and their associated views) in one neat project file. Once you got the apr file to open, you could quickly open and close views and layouts. The single document interface of ArcMap seems to require me to wait a long time to open each mxd file. In ArcView 3.x, I had avenue scripts that could change the color or symbol of a layer in all of my views. In ArcMap I would have to write code that opens each mxd to change a layer's properties (anyone done this?).

When I saw that you can add multiple data frames to an mxd document, I thought I could put multiple layouts into the same document, but alas, as far as I can tell you only get one layout - adding multiple data frames just gives you multiple views but you only get one layout upon which to place the views (only useful when including a reference map inset). The only way I can think of to store multiple separate views in one mxd is to put each data frame outside of the layout page and then when you need to print or export a particular view then drag the data frame onto the page. Anyone come up with a more elegant solution?

Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Re: create multiple layouts per mxd? (making ArcMap like ArcView 3.x) 
Author Olivier Damanet 
Date Sep 23, 2003 
Message There is the Layout Manager tool: http://arcobjectsonline.esri.com/default.asp?URL=/ArcObjectsOnline/Samples/ArcMap/Map%20Production/Layout%20Manager/LayoutManager.htm
But this tool is quite contested: http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1148&t=62543&mc=35#msgid169898

btw, from Preconference Survey Q & A http://gis.esri.com/uc2003/qa/index.cfm
---------------------------------------
Q: Will ESRI ever support multiple layouts like in ArcView 3.x?

Yes, ArcGIS will support the concept of multiple layouts in future releases. Users will be able to store maps and the elements of maps within a database. At ArcView 3.x, users used the APR file as a simple database to store their pages, views, tools, and tables. In ArcGIS 9.x we plan to add the ability to store these component parts of a map (layouts, data frames, tools, tables, and graphics) in a full featured database. These components can be used by a single user (like in ArcView 3.x) as well as by multiple users within an organization. 
  Olivier.