ArcGIS Desktop - ArcObjects Visual Basic for Application (VBA) forum

Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS?   Matthew Cole May 08, 2002
Re: Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS?   Bill Major May 08, 2002
Re: Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS?   Tom Barry May 08, 2002
Re: Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS?   Alex Zendel May 10, 2002
Re: Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS?   rob dunfey May 09, 2002
Re: Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS?   Ewan Hardie May 09, 2002
Re: Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS?   Neil Clemmons May 10, 2002
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS? 
Author Matthew Cole 
Date May 08, 2002 
Message I was wondering if there are any good books on how to use VBA with ArcGIS. I know some VB coding, but not anything that has to do with ArcGIS and I am trying to make that leap. Is there a good book with code examples? Is there one coming out soon? What sources are other people using to learn VBA for ArcGIS? Is there a good reference book with component guide, controls, and language reference? I'm tyring to get started and do it right instead of just taking a stab at it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you, Matt 

Subject Re: Is there a good VBA book for ArcGIS? 
Author Bill Major 
Date May 08, 2002 
Message Actually, the ArcObjects Volumes I and II are good resources. These books go over many of the ArcObject Classes and Interfaces and provide VB coding examples for most of them. You can purchase them through ESRI's Online bookstore. 
  Bill Major
Blog of Tools: http://rwmajor.spaces.live.com/

Author Tom Barry 
Date May 08, 2002 
Message Hi,

Actually there is a book being published in June called
ArcGIS Developer's Guide for Visual Basic Applications (VBA)
by Amir H. Razaviing

Take Care

Tom 

Author Alex Zendel 
Date May 10, 2002 
Message There is also word that a book titled "Getting to Know ArcObjects" will soon be released. The Amazon.com site lists it and states that it's due out in Apr 2002. However, a phone call to the ESRI bookstore revealed that it was not to be published before May1.

AZ 

Author rob dunfey 
Date May 09, 2002 
Message Matthew,

Take a stab at it, everyone else has. I wouldnt recommend buying the Exploring ArcObjects books because they are expensive and heavy going. There is little difference between programming something in vb and writing a vba macro. If you can programme in vb, you can write an vba macro for ArcGIS when you understand the ArcObjects model. To learn this its best to start looking at sample and have the object models printed out. I think you can find component models in ArcObjectsDeveloper help from your start menu. Also the forums are good.

rob 
  Rob Dunfey

The GIS Consultancy
http://gisconsultancy.com

Author Ewan Hardie 
Date May 09, 2002 
Message If you have already purchase ArcGIS there is a .pdf (with the CD) called Exploring ArcObjects that can be helpful, as well as ArcOnline http://arconline.esri.com/ArcObjectsOnline/.

Ewan 

Author Neil Clemmons 
Date May 10, 2002 
Message Matt,

I think the easiest way to learn ArcObjects is more along the route that Rob suggested. Reading all the books in the world is not going to help you until you get your hands dirty. The Exploring ArcObjects books available for purchase are also included on the Sample Maps and Books CD that came with your software. Another good resource is the Developer's Help that is installed with ArcGIS and is available from the Start menu. I would suggest you start by picking a simple task (like zooming the map) and look for examples in the documentation. Learn the code, get used to using the ArcObjects interfaces, and running the code in both the VBA and VB environments. Make simple modifications to the code so that you get a better feel for what is going on. Then move to something a little more complex. It won't be long before it finally sinks in and you will be able to write code to perform some very complex tasks. Good luck! 
  Neil Clemmons
Senior GIS Developer
Geographic Information Services, Inc.
Birmingham, AL
http://www.gis-services.com

Check out our blog:
http://blog.gis-services.com/