You are here: > ESRI Forums > arcgis desktop discussion forums > Thread Replies

ArcGIS Desktop Discussion Forums

ArcGIS Desktop - ArcObjects General forum

How to move features from a shapefile to su...   Edward Boesenberg May 25, 2006
Re: How to move features from a shapefile t...   Melody Zhou May 25, 2006
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject How to move features from a shapefile to survey location? 
Author Edward Boesenberg 
Date May 25, 2006 
Message I have two shape files. One shape file is called "all manholes.shp" and contain points & attributes for manholes throughout a township and all the locations are approximate. The second shape file is called "manhole survey.shp" and contains points that have accurate manhole locations.

I would like to move the points in "all manholes.shp" to their actual locations utilizing "manhole survey.shp".

What tool could I use to only move the manholes to their location based on the distance between to common points in the shape files.

I am using ArcMAP 9.0

manholes.zip (opens in new window)

Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Re: How to move features from a shapefile to survey location? 
Author Melody Zhou 
Date May 25, 2006 
Message I think it's easier to move the attributes from "all manholes" to "surveyed manholes" than to move features. You can use spatial join to build a relationship between "all manholes" and the closest "surveyed manholes". Then you can join "surveyed manholes" with "all manholes" by surveyed manhole ID. Select those closest surveyed manholes and create a new shapefile. I am not sure if this is what you want. 
  - Melody