Re: Kernel Home Range??   Dan Patterson May 16, 2004
Re: Kernel Home Range??   Debbie Irvine May 16, 2004
Re: Kernel Home Range??   Dan Patterson May 16, 2004
Re: Kernel Home Range??   Hawthorne Beyer May 17, 2004
Re: Kernel Home Range??   Craig Mills Jan 19, 2005
Re: Kernel Home Range??   Hawthorne Beyer Jan 19, 2005
HRE for ArcView 9??????   Felix Blanckenhagen Feb 17, 2005
Re: Kernel Home Range??   Jennifer Barrett Oct 30, 2007
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject Kernel Home Range?? 
Author Debbie Irvine 
Date Feb 17, 2004 
Message Since I am not an ecologist, but am doing work for them, this computation is out of my understanding. I need to do a 'Home Range Kernel Density" analysis. Basically, if I buffer each animal, I need to get the number of overlapping polygons per cell. Hope this is challenging enuf for you. Cheers :) 

Subject Re: Kernel Home Range?? 
Author Dan Patterson 
Date Feb 17, 2004 
Message http://www.absc.usgs.gov/glba/gistools/index.htm
but you need av3.x and Spatial Analyst for 3.x 
  Geomatics, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 

Author Debbie Irvine 
Date Feb 17, 2004 
Message thx Dan for the response, but of course I am not making myself clear enuf. I must do this in VB. 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date Feb 17, 2004 
Message check arcobjects online they may have something but esoterica tends not to appear until someone has written it from scratch (you :) ). Contact Phil Hooge and see if they have an 8.x version in the works or in beta. 

Author Debbie Irvine 
Date Feb 19, 2004 
Message I thought of a way that might work. The points are buffered with no disolve, then converted to raster. My idea was that each buffered polygon would have a value of 1, outside a value of 0, then I could just do raster calculator to total up the overlaps. BUT, when converted to raster, the buffers are all treated as one feature. Is there a way to force them to be kept separate????? Do I even make sense. :) 

Author Peter Laver 
Date May 14, 2004 
Message Hi Debbie

I have just embarked on the same type of project. Idensityop interface on arcobjectsonline may be a start. I hope you are able to find/write an 8.2 vba equivalent of AMAE.

Regards
Pete 

Author Debbie Irvine 
Date May 15, 2004 
Message Hi Peter,
I don't have much help for you. I did manage to contain the points and do the density on them in VB, BUT this is not an accurate scientific calculation according to my researcher boss. Also, Arc doesn't create convex hull around the points, it just joins all the outside points of a cluster together, unless I am missing something. If you have any answers, please keep me informed.
Cheers, Debbie 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date May 16, 2004 
Message convex hull can be obtained using
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=12084
but I don't know if it will be of any use to your case 

Author Debbie Irvine 
Date May 16, 2004 
Message Thank you Dan, that is a big step in the right direction. I dont know how I missed that, I searched for convex before. Cheers. 

Author Dan Patterson 
Date May 16, 2004 
Message I completely forgot Jeff Jenness' website, it has convex hull and a lot of other things that may be of interest to you

http://www.jennessent.com/arcview/arcview_extensions.htm 

Author Hawthorne Beyer 
Date May 17, 2004 
Message Hi Debbie,
There are a few good papers that describe the statistics behind the kernel methods (for home range analysis) in a way that is fairly accessable to non-mathematicians (like me). You may find them useful if you have not seen them yet (in order of usefulness):

Worton, B.J. 1989. Kernel methods for estimating the utlization distribution in home range studies. Ecology 70(1), 164-168.

Seaman, D.E. and Powell, R.A. 1996. An evaluation of the accuracy of the kernel density estimators for home range analysis. Ecology 77(7), 2075-2085.

Seaman, D.E. et al. 1999. Effects of sample size on kernel home range estimates. Journal of Wildlife Management 63(2), 739-747

Regards,
Hawthorne 

Author Craig Mills 
Date Jan 19, 2005 
Message Did you ever come up with a solution to this problem? 

Author Hawthorne Beyer 
Date Jan 19, 2005 
Message Craig: an impressive kernel home range solution has been developed by Pete Laver. I think it is being tested right now.
Sincerely,
Hawthorne 

Subject HRE for ArcView 9?????? 
Author Felix Blanckenhagen 
Date Feb 17, 2005 
Message Hi!

I'm looking for an extention which is alike HRE for ArcView 3.x (home range analyses MCP and Kernel) but runs in ArcView 9?

Felix

Author Jennifer Barrett 
Date Oct 30, 2007 
Message I recently downloaded ABODE (the program created by Peter Laver) and, after reading the manual, I tried to run a Kernel density estimation, but encountered the following error message each time I tried:

Run-time error 1-2147467259 (80004005)':
RasterDataset::SaveAs failed (ERROR: #808)
eimg_LayerStackCreate failed (ERROR: #777)
eimg_LayerCreateInternal fail (ERROR: #9252)
FileReOpen failed (ERROR: # 5083)
FileOpen failed (ERROR: #8376)
FileIdentifyAndOpen failed (33) (ERROR: #8428)

I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. The file I am using is a point dataset of marine radiotelemetry locations, projected in BC Albers (unit = meters). My settings in the kernel analysis window are as follows (for those boxes for which there are multiple options):

Subset (checked)
95% Contour
Grid cell size =1000
No Asymptote selected
Smoothing = LSCV
Standardize data: Unit Variance
Area Units: km2
Liner Units: km
(the last two are for the output)

I'm working in ArcGIS 9.1. I tried renaming the normal template (as suggested in one of the forum threads), but still encountered the same errors. Also, ever since I downloaded this program, my raster calculator has stopped working (i.e., ArcGIS freezes each time I try to use it).

Any suggestions/insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jenn 
  Jenn Barrett
Master's Candidate
School of Res. and Env. Mgmt.
Simon Fraser University