Re: clip raster to polygon   Brian Sterling Jul 03, 2007
Re: clip raster to polygon   Sharon Reynolds Jul 03, 2007
Re: clip raster to polygon   joe sather Jan 13, 2009
Re: clip raster to polygon   Elizabeth Duncan Jun 29, 2009
Re: clip raster to polygon   Elizabeth Duncan Jun 29, 2009
Re: clip raster to polygon   Sharon Reynolds Jun 29, 2009
Re: clip raster to polygon   Matt Love Jul 01, 2009
Re: clip raster to polygon   Elizabeth Duncan Jul 01, 2009
Report Inappropriate Content • Top • Print • This Forum is closed for replies.    
Subject clip raster to polygon 
Author Craig Eissler 
Date Apr 10, 2007 
Message OK, I've seen a few of the Knowledge Base postings on this, but I'm still having a hard time believing there would be so much involved in clipping a raster to a polygon (uniquely defined shapefile, like my project boundary). Do I really need to download a special tool or write/paste a script into VB? Please confirm or inform. Thanks. 

Subject Re: clip raster to polygon 
Author William Huber 
Date Apr 10, 2007 
Message Craig,

A standard way to clip a grid is to convert the polygon to a grid, set it as the mask grid, and copy the grid to be clipped using the Raster Calculator. 
  --Bill Huber
Quantitative Decisions (http://www.quantdec.com )
More GIS Q&A at http://gis.stackexchange.com/q/3083/664 

Author Oliver Ginzler 
Date Apr 11, 2007 
Message Without any conversion you can use the 'Extract by Mask' Tool. (Toolbox - Spatial Analyst - Extraction)

University of Giessen
Division of Landscape Ecology and Landscape Planning
Germany 
  Extract_by_Mask.jpg (opens in new window)

Author Kelly Sparks 
Date May 15, 2007 
Message It also seems that both of the above solutions necessitate having Spatial Analyst Extension. I can't believe that simply clipping a raster isn't available as a standard option in ArcGIS. I'm not doing Spatial Analysis with the raster, simply clipping it to my extent!
Am I wrong here? I don't have Spatial Analyst. 

Author Richard DePalma 
Date May 16, 2007 
Message yes, it is odd that you can't do it without spatial analyst. That's why the freely available 'Hawth's Tools' is so useful...

It will clip multiple rasters to a polygon. 

Author Jarlath ONeil-Dunne 
Date May 17, 2007 
Message Hawth's tools is great. If the purpose of your clip is for display purposes only then you can use "Clip To Shape" in the Data Frame properties to mask out all of the raster cells that fall outside of your polygon. 
  Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne
UVM Spatial Analysis Lab 

Author Kelly Sparks 
Date May 17, 2007 
Message You guys are great! I didn't know about Haths tools. Will try that. I like the suggestion about clipping for display. I knew about that, but only recently learned of it - wish i knew about it a long time ago.
For this raster, I need to clip for performance and file size, so i guess i need to go ahead and actually clip it. Hopefully the Haths tools will work - and it looks like there are other useful tools in there as well.
Cheers!
Kelly 

Author Dr. Rick Haynes 
Date May 21, 2007 
Message I think you'll find that Hawth's Tools requires Spatial Analyst for the clip by polygon tool to work. I have 9.2 with 3D Analyst but not Spatial Analyst and just tried to do exactly your task - it complained bitterly and gave up. 
  Regards,

Dr. Rick Haynes

W.A.Fairhurst & Partners
Water Services Division,
Glasgow,
UK 

Author Jarlath ONeil-Dunne 
Date May 21, 2007 
Message The other issue could be that Hawth's Tools was made for 9.1 and is not completely compatible with 9.2. I have not tried to replicate your error, but have run into other issues when I use new file formats such as File Geodatabases. 
  Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne
UVM Spatial Analysis Lab 

Author Kenneth Kuiper 
Date Jun 22, 2007 
Message Yup, that is ridiculous. I'm not paying $3000 for a single function, as that's that only tool in spatial analyst that I would ever need. 

Author Brian Sterling 
Date Jun 28, 2007 
Message Hawes tools "Clip Raster by Polygons" worked for me in Arcview 9.2. It takes about 5 minutes though. 

Author Sharon Reynolds 
Date Jul 02, 2007 
Message I don't get it. I keep getting 3 grid files when I clip to a polygon using Hawths tools. What am I doing wrong? Why is this so complicated? 

Author Oliver Ginzler 
Date Jul 03, 2007 
Message Try in your ArcToolbox:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.1/index.cfm?id=3158&pid=3152&topicname=Extract%20by%20Mask

University of Giessen
Division of Landscape Ecology and Landscape Planning
Germany 

Author Brian Sterling 
Date Jul 03, 2007 
Message Export your grid/raster so that the x,y cell size is approximately ".01". Run the Hawths clip to polygon. Then right click the result to go to Properties, Symbology, then Classify the raster. 

Author Sharon Reynolds 
Date Jul 03, 2007 
Message I solved this by clipping to shape in data frame properties then exporting the map. Not a true clip but satisfied the need. I think part of the issue was the raster type (.ecw) I couldn't classify as I did not have the data and the thematic scheme was crucial to interpretation. 

Author joe sather 
Date Jan 13, 2009 
Message Another low tech solution would be to go to "Advanced Drawing Options" by rught clicking the data frame (the default data frame name being "Layers"). There you can select specific masking layers for specific layers. I make a habit of creating masking layers that are the oposite of my study area. This can be done by drawing a large polygon around your study area and clipping the actual study area out of it. Like using a cookie cutter. This can now be used to maske one or more layers. Like I said, this is low tech, but is helpful for mapping purposes. 

Author Elizabeth Duncan 
Date Jun 29, 2009 
Message Hi,

I am experiencing problems with the Hawth Tools Clip raster to polygons. I have a shapefile with ~300 polygons that I would like to use to clip a raster file. The polygons are completely contained within the raster area (none of them lie outside). This tool works well for some of the polygons, but ~ every 2nd file is empty (i.e. it creates the file name but when I add it to ArcMap, the raster information isnt there). Why is this happening?

My settings under spatial analyst are as follows:
-I set the analysis mask to the raster I am working with.
-Extent is the "same as display" and snap extent to the raster file
-cell size same as raster layer.

Ive tried it with these settings as well as with the default settings. Nothing works.

I thank you for any advice!! 

Author Elizabeth Duncan 
Date Jun 29, 2009 
Message I am willing to try a different code or anything to make this happen. Thanks again.. 

Author Sharon Reynolds 
Date Jun 29, 2009 
Message I just caught the tail end of this conversation so maybe I am missing something but I just used the Toolbox "Data Management Tools/Raster/Raster Processing/Clip" to clip a bunch of DRG's to the Index polygons. Worked fine. These were of course tiff's, not grids... 

Author Matt Love 
Date Jul 01, 2009 
Message When using the raster clip tool in ArcToolbox --> Data Management Tools --> Raster --> Raster Processing, be sure to select the check box "Use input features for clipping geometry (optional)" if you want the boundary of the raster to match the boundary of the clipping polygon. 
  Matt Love
Biological Scientist
Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve

Author Elizabeth Duncan 
Date Jul 01, 2009 
Message I found the solution, thanks for your input. Actually, you need Hawth version 3.26 to make the tool work (clip raster by polygon).
Thanks.